In this product review, we will review the EdgeStar CWR1661SZ 166-Bottle Built-In Wine Cooler, a Free-standing or Built-in Wine Cooler in Black and Stainless Steel design.
We will be looking into the wine refrigerator’s technical specifications as well as its aesthetics, features, pros, cons, price, and warranty. Short on time? Skip to the summary and find out if the EdgeStar CWR1661SZ 166-Bottle Built-In Wine Cooler is worth your money.
- Height – Approximately 70 inches
- Width – Approximately 24 inches
- Depth – Approximately 27 inches with the handles
- Weight – 231 pounds
Capacity and Design:
The EdgeStar CWR1661SZ can fit up to 166 (750mL) bottles, making it one large capacity wine fridge, with evenly distributed cool air. This makes for great entertaining at home. Keep in mind that the standard 750mL bottle capacity for this wine refrigerant refers to the Typical Bordeaux bottle dimensions at around 12 inches tall and 3 inches in diameter.
It is best to follow the suggested shelf bottle arrangement for an optimal layout. Taller and wider bottles may significantly reduce the number of wine bottles. For the best layout with different-sized wine bottles, it is recommended to place the larger bottles on the top and bottom shelves. The shelves are also removable which helps to fit bigger bottles and for easy cleaning and maintenance.
As for the design, the EdgeStar CWR1661SZ blends with contemporary and industrial themes. It’s sleek and modern with pitch black interiors, wood-trimmed wire wine racks, and LED-lit interiors. There is also a built-in carbon filter that eliminates odors.
The reversible door swing is made of tinted glass and trimmed with stainless steel. The tinted glass door makes it possible to view your entire collection while maintaining the cool temperature inside until you can select the wine bottle you want to take out. With a reversible door, you can also choose whether you open the door from the left or right. The door also comes with a security lock to keep your wine collection safe.
There are 15 shelves which slide for easier access. They are also removable for cleaning and storing different sizes of bottles. It also has LED lighting in its interiors and a digital touch control panel to adjust and monitor the temperature.
The EdgeStar CWR1661SZ wine cooler fits with any modern home décor and has a large bottle capacity. So now we look into the features that offer value for your money:
- Single Temperature Zone– If you prefer to keep your red wine collection separate from your white wine collection, then a single zone operation wine refrigerant is one to consider. The temperature settings range between 40 to 65° F. You can also opt for an optimal cellar temperature of 55° F. The temperature setting should be in the 40s for champagne and other sparkling wine selections. For white wine, go for the 50s and aim for 60s for your red wine collection.
- Even Air Distribution– The interiors of the EdgeStar CWR1661SZ utilizes powerful circulation fans that eliminate hot spots and problems with uneven cooling.
- Built-in or Freestanding– Whether you have the space to fit your wine cooler in your kitchen cabinetry or you prefer to showcase your wine fridge as a standalone, you have this option with the EdgeStar CWR1661SZ. It looks good on all sides and makes for an elegant appliance in your kitchen.
- Digital-Touch Controls– The temperature control panel is easily visible through the tinted glass door. While it is engineered in the interiors of the wine fridge, you can still have easy access to the temperature display for monitoring and adjustments.
The EdgeStar CWR1661SZ has a one-year warranty on all parts and labor. You may consider paying for an extended warranty to get support from customer service past the one-year warranty period. Take note that most EdgeStar CWR1661SZ units last around 2 to 3 years so it’s best to opt for an extended warranty if you don’t intend to replace your unit in the next three years or so.
Satisfied customers noted ease of assembly, longevity, performance, and appearance as their takeaways for the EdgeStar CWR1661SZ. However, some customers had problems with noisy units and inaccurate temperature readings. It is best to return faulty units the moment you unbox and find out the problem so you can get a replacement. It is essential to enjoy the unit for the entire duration it stays in your home.
- Easy temperature management
- Minimal noise for most units
- An elegant appearance
- Reasonable pricing
- Wire racks are designed to fit standard-sized bottles. Big bottles reduce capacity to around 150 bottles.
- Difficulty with repairs once the unit runs its entire lifespan.
The EdgeStar CWR1661SZ is recommended for those who want a separate wine cooler for different varieties of wine. You can store your white wine collection or your red wine collection in separate wine coolers as this model utilizes a single temperature operation. Those with standard-sized bottles will maximize the use of this model.
The overall appearance is well-designed. The features are very considerate. This includes the glass door, the safety lock, and the LED temperature display. What is most important is its performance. Beyond its modern aesthetics, we look to the air circulation in the interiors of the wine cooler. With an easy temperature management system in place and large cooling fans, you can rely on the unit for an extended period.
For this price range, the EdgeStar CWR1661SZ Wine Cooler stands out with its bottle capacity, aesthetically pleasing features, and overall performance. The wire racks are elevated with wood trimmings making the interiors posher than it already is. Plus, the carbon filter ensures the interior will be odor-free to provide the optimal environment for your wine collection.
The exteriors blend with any modern home décor and installment is simple. The stainless steel-framed tinted glass doors with LED lighting fit perfectly in your kitchen and bar. Enjoy entertaining your guests at home with wine collection storage that is good value for your money.
However, if you’re looking for more wine coolers from EdgeStar, take a look at our top 9 best edgestar wine coolers buyers guide.